Sunday, July 19, 2015

DOUBLEDOWN RE-COLOR

Last March I did a spot on the Nerf DOUBLEDOWN. Along with pointing out faults I mentioned some positive qualities about this blaster and how I personally liked the overall sleek design and looks of it. I also asked what your thoughts about it were.


My DOUBLEDOWN fresh out of the box...
 
Due to my displeasure with the original color palate and the overwhelming amount of comments I received about this blaster...  (o_o)    there seemed to be no choice other than to paint the thing and write a second post about this out of step N-Strike blaster.
I think the DOUBLEDOWN would have been a favorite among the likes of the NITEFINDER, ELEMENT, SCOUT, or even the mighty MAVERICK, had it been released 5 to 10 years ago like the rest of the N-Strike pistols.  Perhaps the decision to make it in a color that matches (sort of) the White Out series was to...??? I can't think of any good reason.  Not a lot I can do about Hasbro's release schedule but at least now my DOUBLEDOWN has a proper re-color and is N-Strike yellow.


...and after paint job.
 
Here is my DOUBLEDOWN with some other N-Strike pistols...
Not so much the "ugly stepchild" anymore.
 
Besides the paint job I did no other modifications to this blaster. I have considered a plunger spring replacement and some basic O-ring seal work to squeeze a bit more power out. Since this blaster uses a smart AR system I'd leave those in to maintain proper function. I'm more interested in looks than performance. 
I disassembled the handle section by removing the 5 screws and separating the two halves. Inside is the trigger, catch, and spring, plus the connection points of the upper section of the blaster as a complete unit.
 
 
I masked the grey/silver parts of the grip and sprayed the halves with 2 base coats of KRYLON-fusion for plastic 2330 Sunbeam/Safety Yellow, 1 top coat of TESTORS 1214 Gloss Yellow spray enamel, and a finish coat of KRYLON MAXX  clear acrylic/satin. Taking my time and allowing each coat of paint to dry well before applying the next gave me nice results and the color match to "Nerf N-Strike Yellow" is pretty good. 
I'm still not happy with the under barrel dart storage which doesn't work well with a holster and is just not at all practical nor stylish. I have thought about modifying or replacing it to be parallel with the barrels or  removing it all together. I'll post any further mods I do on this blaster.
 
BARRELBREAK & DOUBLEDOWN.
                                                      
                                                NERF ON NERFerS!!!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment