Sunday, March 26, 2017

I'm back with a NERF TERRASCOUT REVIEW

Sorry I haven't posted anything new in over a month. I took the month of February to celebrate my birthday and attend to some health matters and so my blog suffered a little... Well I'm back, so let's get right to the Nerf.
 I was incredibly fortunate to receive a TERRASCOUT for my birthday so I just had to do a review of it for my next post! This remote controlled blaster drone is by far the priciest product NERF has ever released. The box  includes- drone, blaster, controller, 18 dart clip,18 darts, rechargeable NiMh battery,  charger, and instructions. The blaster must be attached to the drive section which is easy and requires no tools. The battery compartment will require the same phillips screw driver that most NERF blasters battery compartments  do.

After assembling the drone, charging the  NiMh battery, and putting the 4 AA batteries (which ARE NOT included) in the remote, you are ready to go.  The onboard camera streams live footage directly to the remote control allowing you to navigate easily even when you or the drone is out of sight. You can also record the footage but you'll need an SD card -not included. The 4 controls are simple Forward/backward, left/right, blaster raise/lower, and fire. Up to 4 TERRASCOUTs can be used together at one time. Although it came with an 18 dart clip the TERRASCOUT will take any capacity mag as long as you firmly seat it. Otherwise the blaster does not function at all.

I like to use a 25 dart drum... 
The TERRASCOUT is surprisingly agile and stable, spinning a full 360 degrees in the blink of an eye and cruising along at a top speed of about 2.5 MPH (4kph). I have a little prior RC car experience but am by far no expert, however I found the TERRASCOUT was responsive and easy to control. This is also my first RC vehicle with a video display on the remote so navigating without actually having sight of the thing was a new and fun experience for me!

The controls were very easy to use.

The TERRASCOUT's blaster is comparable to the RAPIDSTRIKE with a side mag well. One quick touch of the trigger button fires a single dart while holding the firing button fires the blaster automatically.
I thought attaching a light might enable me to remotely operate in the dark so I attached a small LED flashlight underneath the barrel with twist ties. The results worked perfectly, and don't look bad either.


I was lucky and found the light for a dollar, It's the perfect size and is even the same color as the TERRASCOUT. It is bright enough that I can navigate (eyes off vehicle) just by screen, with little or no other light source.


I'll have to admit that cost is an issue with this product, averaging at $250 USD, but the quality seems solid. Having a remote drone with a full auto blaster brings a whole new perspective to Nerfing. I don't think any Nerf fan would be disappointed with one.
Be sure to watch for posts on future modifications I have planned for mine. I also have a couple of other new blasters to review so I'll get to those as well, until then...

     NERF ON NERFerS!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to see you got one. That price put me off big time though. Going to have to wait for a big markdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a big surprise... I don't know if I would have ever afforded one myself?

      Delete