Friday, December 12, 2014

DART ZONE COVERT OPS SCORPION

I picked up this little Gatling blaster earlier this year but left it in that NIB condition for a while. Recently I unboxed and test fired it a few times but never did much more with it. Now I'm taking a look at my Scorpion with some new thoughts ...
DART ZONE COVERT OPS SCORPION



Some of the features that attracted me to this Wal-Mart exclusive were the 70ft (21m) range claim that it does live up to, it's a 20 dart  auto for $20, and it has  motorized spinning faux Gatling barrels - you gotta love that!
My Covert SCORPION


The first time I saw the Scorpion it reminded me of a smaller version of my PUNISHER, there might be a good reason for that, they where both made by Prime Time Toys.


SCORPION next to PUNISHER


The SCORPION is small enough to handle with one hand


 


I found besides the Super Darts that come with it the Scorpion will fire the PUNISER darts as well as Buzz Bee and Air Warrior EXTREME darts with impressive velocity. Nerf darts are slightly    too long but if trimmed will work.
L to R- Nerf Suction, Nerf Elite, Super Dart, Punisher Dart, A W Extreme, Buzz Bee
 


 

As with most every blaster there are a couple real drawbacks to the Scorpion. The first thing I think anybody would want is to replace is that power switch on the side that either turns the flywheels on or off, much like a Nerf Barricade/Stockade.
switch on L side of blaster... trigger handle is rather small


The PUNISHER activates the flywheels and spinning barrels with a slight pull of the trigger and adds the dart pusher and belt advancement functions with a full pull of the trigger. An acceleration trigger system might also be a huge improvement. This mini Gatling also has mini handles and I find the trigger "D" style handle particularly too small, and the odd shaped barrels don't look too cool, defeating the purpose of having them.
Faux barrels don't really look much like barrels at all...


I do know that the Scorpion can be rewired. I know that belts can be connected and extra belts are available at PRIME TIME TOYS. I know  voltage can be increased, I know a few things can be done with the barrels, I know this blaster has a lot of potential and  you'll be seeing more of it in the near future. If you have done any mods on your Scorpion leave a comment, I'd like to hear about it!
 
                                                      NERF ON NERFerS!!!

8 comments:

  1. You totally were reminded that you had this blaster when you saw my sasha post Spec7. Moving right along, I am picking up a scorpian today and a hawk(buzzbee) and a bunch of other third-party nerf items! Now I thought about what you said to me about the vulcan's potential for the mod that I was trying to do. I've decided that I want to use one of these instead. I think that the barrels could easiliy be replaced and you could keep the rotating mechanism! This looks like its going to be my choice to use for my sashsa project! Thanks specimen 7!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your post indeed reminded me of this blaster! I think it's a good choice to use for your mod. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

      Delete
  2. or maybe you saw awesomenerfer1999's post on the same thing.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't, but now I did... good post, he mentions some details I did not. I have to say I think the Punisher is the best blaster PTT has made but the Scorpion is a close second.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you on that. I think that they should have had the handle with the trigger on top of the back of the blaster. Because its a hip-shooter, its kind of inconvienient to have to hold the blaster the way the handle is positioned.

      Delete
  3. Anyone have a video on how to take it apart? The barrel spins but won't fire.Trying to fix it for my nephew and Dont wanna break it worse than it already is. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the belts for this blaster work for the punisher /vise versa? I ask because I just got a punisher and I want to mod it, but the belts are hard to come by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! Yes... I just tried it. The belts aren't exactly the same, but close enough to function.

      Delete