Friday, June 30, 2017

BLOG ON!

I realize I haven't been posting nearly as much as I have since I first started this blog, but NERFARIUM is still active.To my dedicated readers and followers, I apologize. I've been a bit pre-occupied with projects, non-NERF stuff, and of course the NERF or NOTHING! community , which has grown to Googles' second largest exclusively NERF community. Instead of reviewing a blaster or talking about any upcoming new products, I thought it might be a good time to go over a couple of the things that I have been busy with.


First, let me talk a little more about NERF or NOTHING!  I joined this Google+ community by invitation a little over a year ago, after finding and joining My Last Darts' ("Ash" Asif Zahoor)  NERF community, Nerf Nation Club. If you don't know who Ash is... you are truely a Noob. Anyway... after becoming a moderator and eventually taking the reins, I'm proud to say that the NERF or NOTHING! community quickly grew from aroud 20 members to over 430 members!  Unfortunetly MLD has been MIA from the NERF seen for over 2 years, while his community  continues on, plagued by trolls,spammers, and me sometimes at my worst! For the best in online interactive NERF sharing, chat, ideas, pictures,polls, contests, or whatever- blaster related... join us at NERF or NOTHING! It might not be the biggest (yet) it's the best!
Now, on to those projects that I've been working on. My big project has been a shield... I've found it quite chalanging, but we'll get back to that. First I want to show you my Buzz Bee REAPER. The REAPER came with a 8 dart clip and 8 BuzzBee suction tip darts, but as I said, it is compatible with NERF darts and clips(mags) just not the drums. I picked this blaster up on sale at Walmart for $6.97 (US). Not only did this blaster meet NERF Elite preformance standards and prove itself compatible with (most) NERF gear in it's stock form, it also was an absolute joy to mod!
My newBuzz Bee REAPER un-boxed.
needing a little distraction from the sheild build I decided to do a simple mod on this blaster. I kepy it simple and did an AR removal, spring upgrade, and a paint job. I also did a little shell work so that it will now accept drum mags. The end result was a blaster that will out gun pretty much any any stock Elite springer out there hitting ranges of 80 to 90+ feet !
My REAPER after modifications.
I think this blaster has a a ton of potential. It is basically a re-shell of the CHAMPION which was generally well recieved by the NERF community. I'll probably pick up at least one more of these while they're on sale.

Next I want to show you this HammerShot holster I made with just a piece of cardboard and some duct tape. This project was another success, with the only expense being the camo tape which cost under 4 bucks. I basicly cut and folded a piece of card board box and then wrapped it with duct tape to reinforce and weather proof it. The end result was a very decent FUNctioal product that was extremely cost effective!
Hammer Shot holster.
I took a lot of pictures while constructing this holster. I've also constructed a shoulder holster for the STRONGARM using the same technique and I promise to post a guide in the near future...



 Another project currently under development is one that I started to write about earlier this month but never posted except for a mention that went mostly ignored. It's a NERF shield! Using a shield in a Nerf war is nothing new. People have been using home- made shields since the beginning of Nerf warfare and long before the introduction of NERF's only official shield. With all the foam swords and axes and such that NERF has released over the years they've only come out with one shield, the N-Force STONEWALL.

While the STONEWALL might be fine for blocking ablow from a foam sword blade, at roughly 14 by 18 inches it's not as useful against blaster fire as most of the larger home made shields are designed to be. I never understood why NERF/ Hasbro has never made (or licensed someone like Perpetual Play Group) another shield.
STONEWALL Shield






Speaking of other NERF shields, they actually have released two different MARVEL Captain America shields. Although smaller than the STONEWALL, each fire darts.These are more of a movie promo,gimmick, novelty blaster than a functional shield. Although having a shield that fires darts... that's kind of tacti-COOL! Unfortunately these shield-blasters get is terrible ranges .
The Winter Soldier - STEALTHFIRE SHIELD
Civil War- BLASTER REVEAL SHIELD
                   
             What I want is something... shall we say, a little more. So I set out to build it. This process required acquiring some new skills and using new materials. As this scratch-build project will also get it's own attention in an upcoming post, I don't want to say too much about it. I will say (tease) that it is constructed primarily of closed cell (EVA) foam, design influences from NERF/ N-Force, Perpetual Play Group, and other such melee weapons. Project nearly completed.  Any more information is still restricted.  However I will conclude with a picture...
Prototype piece.

I'll see you in July with much more. Remember you can ask me questions here or at the Nor N community. Thanks again to my followers and dedicated  readers and...

NERF ON NERFerS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment