Saturday, February 29, 2020

REAPER

A look at my custom  Air Warriors Ultra-Tek REAPER






I picked up an Air Warriors Ultra-Tek REAPER on sale for 7 bucks at Wallymart... that was way back in June of 2017. I started to write a post about it back then but barely got further than the title and first couple of sentences. I was looking over old unfinished drafts when this one caught my eye, so I thought now was as good a time as any to edit/finish the post.
 The Reaper originally came with the blaster, an 8 dart magazine, and 8 darts. It has no stock or Barrel attachment points but does feature 2 small sling attachment points located on the top at the front and rear of the blaster.

Air Warriors Ultra Tek REAPER in box 

The REAPER  operates much like a NERF RECON or RETALIATOR, with the top part of the blaster serving as a slide priming mechanism.



The magazine well is a little bit further forward from the handle and trigger and the magazine release button is in that typical odd Buzz Bee location near the bottom of the blaster.

magazine release button 

The enclosed grip is also a little tighter then that of a NERF brand counterpart blaster. Still I find the REAPER a very comfortable and stylish blaster. The design immediately inspired me to paint it with a futuristic gun sort of theme, like from one of the many classic sci-fi shows I love so much.

(L) Space 1999 Stun Gun, (C) Judge Dredd LAWGIVER, (R) Star Trek Phaser 

The REAPER will accept some NERF magazines, but not all. Some mags like the 18 dart, banana mag, and drum mags will not completely seat in the magazine well because of a protrusion on the back side.

Protrusion on back of clip prevents it from fully seating in magazine well.

Some cutting around the magazine well with a Dremel solved that problem.

Cut magazine well opening.

My REAPER will now accept any NERF magazine, including the 50 dart drum, as well as Buzz Bee magazines. Besides the modification to the magazine well the only other thing I did was the paint job.


in stock form the REAPER shoots Elite darts at almost 80 fps and can nearly hit those 90 foot Elite ranges. I didn't feel the need to replace the plunger spring or remove the air restrictor although these modifications can be done to make the blaster even more powerful.
Using a high-capacity magazine makes the REAPER a very effective back-up or even primary blaster.


The REAPER is getting a little harder to find these days,  but they can still be found on eBay and Amazon. Of all my non-NERF blasters, my REAPER just might be my favorite. If you get a chance to get one... I highly recommend it.

                                  NERF on NERFerS!!!


2 comments:

  1. If you see this, could you email me a link to where I could find a magazine for one? I bought one at a Goodwill and i couldn't find a mag for it.
    My email is mahondahossa@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the NERF 6 dart and 12 dart clips both work with the REAPER just fine without any modifications.

      Delete