Friday, January 16, 2015

No more Targets for Canadian NerferS.

Perhaps not as dramatic as my clever title makes it sound?

Today the retail icon Target announced that it will be closing all of its 133 stores in Canada. Target's chief executive Brian Cornell said that since operations in Canada began in 2011 the Canadian expansion has lost over $ 2 billion. Mr. Cornell said " Simply put, we were losing money every day." Among problems that were cited were differences in suppliers leading  to higher prices compared to US stores,  a bad distribution network that often resulted in empty shelves, and a failure to distinguish itself from other retail giants such as the mighty Wal-Mart, Costco, and others.

So what is this going to mean to all my fellow NERFerS north of the border? How will you get those Target exclusives like the ALPHA TROOPER, CLEARSHOT, or the HAMMERSHOT,among others? Are they available at other retailers in Canada? I guess there is always online shopping or you could simply come for a day trip to the States if you live close enough. I should note that although my HAMMERSHOT came from Target and says available only at Target on the box, a few days ago I saw a whole nerf-load of them at Wal-Mart.

as the box indicates, my HAMMERSHOT was a Target exclusive.

I personally really like Target. They have 2 stores in my area compared to the 15 Wal-marts, and one of them has the biggest, best Nerf section of any store in town including Toys R Us. I also picked up perhaps the best deal on any of my blasters there which was a ROUGH CUT 2x4 for about $5. Here in the good ol' US Target is ranked as the number 2 leading retailor right behind (can you guess?) it starts with a W and ends with a Mart, so I don't think they'll be closing up shop any time soon. I have been meaning to stop by since it's been a while anyway and hopefully I'll be heading over there  tomorrow to see what they have. So I'll let you know how that went. As for the closing of the Canadian Target stores, I'm sorry to hear about (aboot in Canook) it, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise.
                                                       NERF ON NERFerS!!!

3 comments:

  1. My life is ruined.
    I think that I'll go kill myself in my basement with my modded USP firestrike thing.
    it was nice knowing y'all

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is pretty harsh Trotts... Why don't you write a post about that USP FIRESTRIKE mod instead and I'm sure we can smuggle you some Target merchandise or something.

      Delete
    2. yay! And if you guys live in the us i can smuggle you kinder surprise eggs!

      Delete